Friday, October 7, 2011

Robert Burns Fund

Heh, today let's talk about the importance of an emergency fund...

I like to think I'm a pretty smart person, but in creating my super awesome debt-payoff plan I neglected to first set aside the recommended six months of fixed expenses in case of emergency - or freak black widow spider attack from the bowels of hell.

That was Tuesday.

One ambulance ride and a three hour ER visit later I'm looking at potentially a rather large bill.

Fortunately I have a couple grand stashed in the pay-car-off account that was to go out later this month. Worst case scenario: debt-freedom gets pushed out a month or two, and net worth goals for the year cry softly to themselves as 2012 kicks them to the gutter.

This is one of those life lessons I suppose. Prepare for the unexpected. Even if you don't think it could ever happen to you, plan for the freak evil-psychotic-demon-spider-from-hell accidents in life.
"But little Mouse, you are not alone,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes of mice and men
Go often askew..." 
 
Robert Burns knew what was up. Time to actually set up that emergency fund. Maybe I'll call it my Robert Burns fund. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment